Compost Rules, Regulations and Times of Operation
Anyone wanting to utilize the Compost Facility must register at the Borough Office. Procedure for registration:
- A current drivers license with photo ID; and
- Proof of residency in one of the municipalities listed under the Compost Site Rules
Once identification and residency is established, the Borough will issue a Compost Facility Pass. Said Pass will be valid from January 1 to December 31, of the current year.
All individuals, with a valid drivers license, residing in the same household may utilize the same Pass as long as all names are provided at the time of registration.
The fee for the Pass shall be set by the Shippensburg Borough Council, by resolution from time to time. Fee will not be prorated. The fee for Borough residents is included in the current recycling fees accessed on a quarterly basis.
Admittance to the Compost Facility will only be granted by producing a current Drivers License, as defined above, and a current Compost Facility Pass.
Lost Passes will be replaced, once only, at half the current fee rate.
The Pass is not transferable. Anyone using the Pass, other than the individual(s) issued the Pass, will constitute banning the permit-tee from use of the facility for a period of one (1) year from the time of occurrence.
Commercial and Institutional Registration
Any commercial landscaper, or other commercial and institutional entity, wanting to utilize the Compost Facility, must register at the Borough Office or at the site. Procedure for registration:
- A current drivers license with photo ID of the owner; and
- Provide a list of all employees that will be dropping off material for composting. The list shall include the employees name and drivers license numbers. The list shall also include the name, address and phone number of the company, as well as the license plate number of each vehicle.
Once this information is provided, the Borough will issue a Compost Facility Punch Pass. Said Pass will be valid from January 1 to December 31, of the current year.
The fee for a commercial or institutional entity is charged to utilize the Compost Facility shall be set by the Shippensburg Borough Council, by resolution, from time to time. The fee will not be prorated.
Admittance to the Compost Facility will only be granted by producing a current drivers license, as defined above, and a current Compost Facility Pass.
Compost Site Rules
- Must be a resident of the Borough of Shippensburg, Southampton Franklin Township, Southampton Cumberland Township, Shippensburg Township, South Newton Township, Newburg Borough, Hopewell Township and North Newton Township.
- Leaves, shrubbery clippings, brush, garden and yard waste is acceptable.
- Grass clippings, garbage, dirt, stones, fruits WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- No logs over eight (8) inches in diameter, or no more than six (6) ft. in length and no tree stumps will be accepted.
- NO BAGS OR CONTAINERS TO BE LEFT AT THE SITE
- Any questions, please ask the attendant.
The Compost Site will be open the following times:
December, Tuesday and Thursday: 12:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M.
Closed, January and February.
December, January and February: Saturday 12:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M.
March and November, Tuesday and Thursday: 12 P.M. to 4:00P.M.
Saturday: 9 A.M. to 3:00P.M.
April and October, Tuesday and Thursday: 12:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Saturday: 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
May thru September: Tuesday and Thursday: 12:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.
Saturday: 9:00 A.M to 3:00 P.M.
The site will be closed December 24 to January 2
The above times may be changed by the Shippensburg Borough Council, by resolution, from time to time.
Buying Compost and/or Mulch
One does not have to be registered to purchase the Compost and/or Mulch. However, preference will be given to those customers that are registered.
Compost and Mulch may be purchased Monday thru Friday between the hours of 10A.M. to 2:30P.M.
The cost for Compost and Mulch shall be set by the Shippensburg Borough Council, by resolution, from time to time.
Borough residents/residential pass – no charge
Residential Pass – non resident pass / $22.00 annually
Commercial and Institutional Pass – $105.00 – good for 10 punches 1 punch = 1 cubic yard
Charge for Screened Compost
$10 per cubic yard, with pass
$15 per cubic yard, without pass
$4.00 per cubic yard, with pass
$7.00 per cubic yard, without pass
Violations and Penalties
Any person, partnership or corporation violating any portions of this article shall, upon conviction in a summary proceedings, be sentenced to pay a fine of not less than $300 not more than $1,000 per offense and, in default of the of the payment of such fine, may be imprisoned for a period of not more than 90 days. Each day of violation shall be considered a separate and distinct offense.